Recertification for Certified Neonatal Therapists
- Recertification is required every 5 years.
- Recertification must be completed prior to expiration of the current certification period.
- Failure to recertify prior to the expiration date of the current certification period will result in non-certified status. Those with non-certified status who wish to become certified will initiate the process again, including submitting an application and taking the certification examination.
- Recertification applicants will submit documentation to support the requirements for recertification through their established applicant portal.
- Submission of current licensure/professional credential
- Completion of a minimum of 2000 hours of NICU-related practice over the 5-year certification period, which may include:
- Direct patient care in the NICU
- Teaching or clinical instruction
- Mentoring other neonatal therapists
- Professional presentations (i.e. presentations to residents or nurses, conference presentations)
- Research, quality improvement, and/or publication
- NICU program development
- Leadership/boards/advisory teams related to the NICU
- Developing/training/testing new products for NICU infants, families and/or neonatal therapists
- 60 hours of professional education related to NICU clinical practice over the 5 year certification period
- Examination is not required for recertification for those who submit 2000 NICU-related practice hours and 60 hours of professional education related to NICU clinical practice.
Retaking the certification exam is an option for those who do not submit 2000 NICU-related practice hours and 60 hours of professional NICU-related education.
- A recertification fee, currently $200, is required at the time the applicant completes his/her recertification application. This is the fee for either submitting practice and education hours or for retaking the examination.
- Review of the recertification application will take up to one month.
*Certified Neonatal Therapists can track their professional activities toward recertification in the portal (click here to log in).